Thursday, January 24, 2008

More science news and other ramblings

An asteroid will pass very close to Earth next Tuesday. You can read about it here.

When will the writers quit striking? I think I've seen all the new episodes of Nova at least twice now.

In other news, I worked on the afghan square for the shop model today while at work. It's a braided cable. It's looking quite nice, if I do say so myself. However, it is one where you have either cables or twists on every right side row. That makes it yet another project where I have to pay attention. I haven't done a single stitch of knitting tonight. I'm heading off to bed with a book pretty soon instead.

I know there's not a damn thing I can do to speed it up, but I'm almost impatiently - no, that's not the right word, but neither is anxiously - well, I'm waiting for a Malabrigo order to get in. I've got another gift to get knitted up pronto. I want to use the Emerald Blue which is a fabulous green/blue variegated color. Every day I have to wait on that yarn is another whole day of lost knitting. That can be maddening.

Of course, the window over my computer looks out to the east, and I've been watching the full moon rise the past few nights. I'll chalk up my impatience to full moon lunacy and just go climb into bed with a cat.

A quick thought about cats. Scooter is supposed to get liver every other day, and today was liver day. Keith and I were both busy, what with work, grocery shopping, etc, and forgot to cook up any liver! Scooter was just fussing in the kitchen, and I do wonder if he's keeping a calendar somewhere. That yowling of his definitely sounded like "where's my organic chicken liver, my temporarily worthless humans?" I have got to get him back to the vet for more bloodwork, but part of me dreads it if she says he doesn't need his liver anymore. Then will I be cooking organic boneless chicken thighs for him when he starts meowing? He's gotten such bad table manners as he's gotten older (and I spoil him). He starts pawing my leg the minute I sit to eat, and he's decided in addition to his usual fish, deli meat and baked chicken that he will now eat ground beef, egg yolk leftover on a plate or if he's really desparate, oatmeal remnants if it has real butter in it. I found out recently that Keith has been paying the cream or milk toll when he goes into the kitchen. We do keep an eye on the type and amount of food he eats off our plates. I think when a cat reaches 17 1/2, he's entitled to have some treats besides the holistic catfood he gets.

Princess Plumy has just come in to get me off the computer. She's ready for pre-sleep petting and light snoozing. To paraphrase Cat from Red Dwarf, if a cat doesn't get 9 or 10 naps a day, he's too tired to sleep all night.

3 comments:

Shari said...

I pay the milk or cream toll each morning also...it's the price for silence in the early am. I agree that as cats pass a certain age, they should get extra goodies-my cat Tiff will be 19 in March - that's like over 100 in human years, right?

Honi said...

I think any beloved pet that passes a certain age should have anything he wants whenever he wants..kinda like folks who reach a certain age..my mom was the most uptight weight watching woman in the land.. not on weight watchers but she rarely enjoyed a treat.. now its chocolate before dinner, chocolate during dinner and chocolate after dinner.. and sometimes its just plain chocolate minus dinner.. lol I get an actually joy out of watching my mom eat.. not in a sinister way but a real joy she finally enjoys food..

Eve said...

I found a website once that translated cat years into human years. Brownie & Pixel were around 84 in human years, so Tiff is at least 90! You are one well trained human to have her still with you.