Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Small start and deep thoughts

I've done it. I've gotten 12 books listed for sale on Amazon. It's a start to decluttering the house. I've also gotten a bag of scrubs to go to Goodwill since I won't be needing them for skincare anymore.

The past few days have brought news that no one ever wants to hear. Keith's cousin who has liver cancer will be leaving hospice to go home for his remaining days. It's been rough for everyone. I like him a lot. He's always been great fun, a bit of a scoundrel. We haven't seen him for a little over 2 years. They continued to travel after his diagnosis, when his health allowed. As the prognosis was not good, he and his wife did what they could to cram lots of life into his remaining time. I must admit to dreading seeing him after all this time. I remember how both Keith's mom and uncle looked days before their death. It's a hard thing to see.

Another relative has just been diagnosed with cancer, and we found out about it yesterday. It's early days yet, so we'll find out as they do what the prognosis is.

It does make one stop and think. I'm sorry to be a downer, and right now I'm not sad, just thoughtful. The time we have here is so short, so we should try to squeeze all we can out of it. How we live should be meaningful to each of us, and we mustn't let others tell us how we should do it. I see other people striving away to amass material goods, and their happiness is based upon obtaining whatever that thing is. I won't lie. I've done a bit of amassing myself. Remember, I mentioned packrat and lots of junk the other day. We absolutely won't talk about my yarn stash.

To get back to the point, while there are things we need to survive, such as food and shelter, there are the other things we need that feed our souls. I'll admit that there are times when my family drives me to utter madness. There are other times when I feel so lucky to have them around. I still have 2 grandmothers, both of whom turned 88 this year. I know I need to make the time to see them while I still can. Truthfully, one doesn't even know me now, but I need to visit her for my own peace of mind. And it was shocking to me when I visited the other just a few weeks ago to hear her say she wouldn't have recognized me on the street! (All because my hair is longer than last time I saw her.) Time speeds by, and I hadn't realized that it had been 6 months between visits. To me that is not acceptable.

Make time for those you love. Unfortunately we won't have them around for forever.

I'll eventually get back to knitting content. I've taken a knitting break too. I did watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night. Keith, who hadn't read the book, thought it was too disjointed and didn't flow well. I, having read the book numerous times, thought it was okay. It's a very long book to try to compress into a movie, and I think they made an admirable go of it.

As for other movies, we did watch both the Simpsons Movie and Bender's Big Score last week. The Simpsons Movie was just kind of odd, but we really enjoyed Bender's Big Score.

No comments: