Sunday, January 13, 2008

OMG! What was I thinking?

Last night I started on the sleeves for Keith's sweater. In my brilliance, I decided to do both sleeves at once on one long circular. I also decided that I don't like the way duplicate stitch looks on the sleeve, so I would do that color in intarsia also.


For the record, this is not my first time to tackle intarsia, but since I learned to purl correctly, I figured it would work out this time and be a piece of cake.


I have always thought that the Supreme Entity had a great, but warped sense of humor, and that I provide him or her with endless entertainment.


To be honest, the intarsia itself is not that difficult. None of it is really difficult, but it is a bloody mess. Hence, the what was I thinking part. Let's take a look at the things I thought would work.


2 intarsia sleeves at once on one long circular needle.


Pulling from both ends of the ball at the same time.


All those bobbins hanging from the work.


A cat sleeping in my lap.


Same cat now sleeping on my book with the chart while her shadow sleeps on the other book I'm using to make the sleeves actually fit the sweater. (Remember, I'm tweaking a helluva lot.)


Watching TV while all of the above is going on.


Hmm. No wonder the Supreme Deity uses the hubris button on me from time to time.


What I'm going to do now.


Undo the intarsia part of one sleeve for sure since my yarn is not carried properly in the back.


Make copious notes and knit one sleeve at a time.


Rewind the ball into 2 small balls so that it's easier to work with - or just use 2 balls.


Try not to start breakfast with a shot of something before I get a ripping. A Mudslide or 2 is probably not a good idea, but it would make the ripping a little less painful.
Or, maybe I'll just knit on something else today!

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, I've so been there. Just this week, too,in fact. Repeat after me: I love knitting, I love knitting, and the fact that knitting is driving me to drink before breakfast in no way diminishes my love for it.