Sunday, June 8, 2008

Gotta vent for a minute

Today is June 8, 2008. It is currently 11:09 a.m. The exterior thermometer, which is currently in the sun, says it's 96.6F here. Summer isn't supposed to be this hot, this early! It's actually only 88F, but that's still pretty hot.

We went to a friend's very belated birthday party last night. She likes to have a big party at her house with a live band. Last year it was a few days after her birthday in early April, and it was freezing. This year she moved it to last night, and it was agonizingly hot. The band was in the back yard, as were all the tables for eating. There were a lot fewer people here this year too. As we sat outside, sweating and fighting off bugs (the band was very good), I will admit that I was thinking of pouring the entire pitcher of lukewarm water down the front of my shirt just to cool off. The thought of sitting in wet linen helped keep me in line.

Anyway, as much as possible, we're staying home and keeping still. We try to save energy by not running the air at a temperature that would really be comfortable, so we keep the thermostat around 76 - 78. All the curtains are drawn, so the house is dim. The weather was lovely until about 10 days ago, when summer arrived with a vengeance! It's bad when you find yourself thinking, maybe we'll have a tropical storm this year?

I made the executive decision this morning that the amigurumi group is taking a hiatus this summer. As I mentioned before, 2 out of the last 3 times there have been only 2 of us there. Thus, I will spend my Sunday afternoons happily napping under a pile of cats until next September, when I revive it if there is enough interest.

No comments: